Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Nothing Here, Go There

Brian Malone posted some cool thoughts on VELLUM. If you haven't read the book yet, be warned -- in terms of the ending this is as spoilerific as it comes, virtually gives you the last scene. But if you have read the book and came out with a "yeah, it rocks along in a way I like, doing this that and the other, but then it gets to the end and that bloody Duncan just leaves the reader dangling, waiting for INK, the cunt" then ye should read this. He's spot-on in terms of the thematic resolution I was striving for, and it's great to see someone get that. It's been interesting to see how the two-book structure affects people's readings. A lot of people seem to read the book as having a "cliffhanger" ending, thinking of VELLUM as just the first half of one big book. So it's good to see someone click to it as it's intended, seeing the closing scenes as tying things together, making sense of what's gone before.

Happy smiley me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hal, how much can ye drink and still remain standing!!!!

Fancon is in sight, my friend! You ready for some serious drinking?

Sean Wright

9:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hal, I must admit that my reaction was in part as you describe (I'll be posting my thoughts in time: I'm currently several books behind). But I think that is partly because I knew that Ink existed. The existence of a sequel inevitably colours our perception of the ending of any book, I suppose.

Had I not known of Ink I suspect I would have worked harder at understanding the ending. Brian Malone's thoughts are spot on, though.

4:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home